Re: Need help creating a database

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 7 Nov 2005 19:17:42 -0800

Randy Harris wrote:
> <bdbafh_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> > what is your server operating system?
> >

> Solaris 8
> Oracle is 9.2.0.4

Simply because the 'dba' group is one of many assigned to the 'oracle' account does not make it the default. My guess is the default group for 'oracle' is 'oinstall' and 'dba' is simply another group to which 'oracle' has access. Do this:

$ newgrp dba
$ sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

You SHOULD see 'Connected to an idle instance.' If this is the case you then need to edit the /etc/passwd file to make the 'dba' group the primary group for 'oracle' by assigning its group number to the oracle account entry in place of the current group id referencing the 'oinstall' group. Then, log out from the 'oracle' UNIX account and log in again. You should see all of your 'insufficient privileges' errors disappear for 'connect / as sysdba'.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon Nov 07 2005 - 21:17:42 CST