Re: Oracle Taking Control

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 22:22:23 GMT

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 18:54:28 +0100, Matthias Hoys wrote:

> Strange ... I believe the best DBA's are those that did a few years of
> software development and db designing. Don't see why a company would refuse
> a DBA with previous development skills.

Stereotypically, DBAs are detail oriented and tend to slow development projects with 'if you do it this way, there will be long term issues' analysis and discussions. PHBs hate anything that slows development, especially hints of reality or increased costs.

Stereotypically, developers are not detail oriented and tend to rush through things - bulldoze is a term sometimes used - in order to meet deadlines. 'Do it' and 'Do it right' are often mutually exclusive as the capital budget (initial project) and operating budget (maintenance) are opften held by different departments.

Companies who post for a skill set often have a HR department screening the applications, and stereotypically, HR departments are very conscious of, and screen toward, stereotypes - other then their own.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com