Re: Do I have to shutdown database in order to backup Oracle HOME?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 4 Nov 2005 06:28:15 -0800

It should not be necessary on a UNIX like system such as Linux to stop the databases in order to backup the binaries since the binaries are not updated by the RDBMS as it runs. However any database datafiles, control files, and any other files located in $ORACLE_HOME and being written during the backup operation are another issue.

The answer depends on what you have in $ORACLE_HOME besides the binaries.

As stated in the original post Oracle must be down to apply the patch properly.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Nov 04 2005 - 08:28:15 CST