Re: Anyone checked out Oracle Express Edition? It's free, although limited.

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 22:11:54 -0800

HansF wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 17:38:01 +0000, Jeremy wrote:
>

>>In article <pan.2005.11.01.21.22.30.505934_at_telus.net>, HansF says...
>>
>>>On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 16:29:08 +1000, Snewber amused us by writing:

>>>It's working well under (fully patched) SuSE 9.3
>>>

>>Does it include mod_plsql / http server? Cant find any refrences yet in
>>the doc?

> Interesting question.
>
> XE includes HTMLDB, and listens on an http port and it includes HTMLDB
> (apparently version 2.1). Yet there is no Apache subdirectory and no
> mod_plsql listed.
>
> HTMLDB is not active until I start the database using the 'startdb.sh' in
> the $ORACLE_HOME/scripts directory. That shell script does nothing other
> than a traditional SQLPlus start followed by a lsnrctl start if the
> database is up. But so far I don't see a database startup trigger either.
>
> When I access http://{server}:8080 I see a directory listing. Drilling
> in, I see many .gif files that are not on disk, or at least not found
> using 'find' as root.
>
> The listener does not have an entry to listen on port 8080.
>
> And finally, only the traditional DB background processes are visible to a
> "ps -ef | grep oraclexe"
>
> Hmmmm.

XE uses the new built in HTTP listener and PL/SQL gateway that comes with Oracle Database 10g Release 2. So the database is serving it;s own HTTP requests. No Apache required (unless you want to offload or place in a DMZ)
The GIF files you can see are for HTMLDB, and are stored in the database. Received on Thu Nov 03 2005 - 00:11:54 CST