Re: Anyone checked out Oracle Express Edition? It's free, although limited.

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 19:44:47 GMT

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 17:38:01 +0000, Jeremy wrote:

> In article <pan.2005.11.01.21.22.30.505934_at_telus.net>, HansF says...

>> On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 16:29:08 +1000, Snewber amused us by writing:
>>

>> > http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/xe/index.html
>>
>> It's working well under (fully patched) SuSE 9.3
>>

> Does it include mod_plsql / http server? Cant find any refrences yet in
> the doc?

Interesting question.

XE includes HTMLDB, and listens on an http port and it includes HTMLDB (apparently version 2.1). Yet there is no Apache subdirectory and no mod_plsql listed.

HTMLDB is not active until I start the database using the 'startdb.sh' in the $ORACLE_HOME/scripts directory. That shell script does nothing other than a traditional SQLPlus start followed by a lsnrctl start if the database is up. But so far I don't see a database startup trigger either.

When I access http://{server}:8080 I see a directory listing. Drilling in, I see many .gif files that are not on disk, or at least not found using 'find' as root.

The listener does not have an entry to listen on port 8080.

And finally, only the traditional DB background processes are visible to a "ps -ef | grep oraclexe"

Hmmmm.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com