Re: Block Corruptions on Oracle and UNIX

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 2 Nov 2005 14:26:13 -0800

For the last 5 years or so I haven't seen much in the way of corruption. I've been working mostly in hp-ux cooked, though. Long ago I used to set some init.ora parameter that would do extra checking, but don't bother anymore.

What I have seen is controllers and disks going bad, and the archiver process being smart enough to see that and fix it without intervention.  Definitely amazed at that!

All bets are off when it comes to networking, though. Up through 9205 with standby db's it was actually possible to halt the production instance from a random networking problem to the standby. But I haven't seen a network problem since, oh, 11:02AM.

Of course, it is possible to corrupt data from outside of Oracle. Like this
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/msg/1cedb062e0071ac0?dmode=source&hl=en

I think the dates on the references in that note might be significant. As in really old and not applicable to modern fs and raid cacheing.

Don't know about linux, though.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.