Re: Help: RMAN can not see virtual drive

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 1 Nov 2005 20:50:06 -0800

Mladen Gogala wrote:

> > I created a virtual drive E by subst command. I can cd to E drive and dir
> > w/o problme. Unfortunately, RMAN can not see it while I am testing.
> > E:> rman target=sys/xxxxxx

Like many other windows programs, RMAN cannot see a "subst" drive. M$ recommends you don't use them, why do you persist in wanting Oracle programs to "see" them? (replying to OP, not Mladen)

> > ORA-27300: OS system dependent operation:open failed failed
> > with status: 2
> >ORA-27301: OS failure message: The system cannot find the file
> > specified.
>
> If you were using an operating system instead of Windows, then you could
> look up the OS documentation of the return codes. Sometimes, they look
> like this:
>
> #define EPERM 1 /* Operation not permitted */
> #define ENOENT 2 /* No such file or directory */
> #define ESRCH 3 /* No such process */
> #define EINTR 4 /* Interrupted system call */
> #define EIO 5 /* I/O error */
> #define ENXIO 6 /* No such device or address */
> #define E2BIG 7 /* Arg list too long */
> #define ENOEXEC 8 /* Exec format error */
> #define EBADF 9 /* Bad file number */
> #define ECHILD 10 /* No child processes */
> #define EAGAIN 11 /* Try again */
> #define ENOMEM 12 /* Out of memory */
> #define EACCES 13 /* Permission denied */
> #define EFAULT 14 /* Bad address */
> #define ENOTBLK 15 /* Block device required */
> #define EBUSY 16 /* Device or resource busy */
> #define EEXIST 17 /* File exists */
> #define EXDEV 18 /* Cross-device link */
> #define ENODEV 19 /* No such device */
> #define ENOTDIR 20 /* Not a directory */

Notice the "open failed with status: 2" up there? rman uses the standard posix fopen call supported in windoze, which returns the standard unix library errors.

As such, you can use the table above. It's ENOENT: file or directory do not exist.

Consistent with the attempt to use a "subst" drive as a file container. Received on Tue Nov 01 2005 - 22:50:06 CST