Re: Help: RMAN can not see virtual drive

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 04:16:53 GMT

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 03:12:11 +0000, joe bayer wrote:

> Iam using ORACLE 9206 on Windows 2000.
>
> I created a virtual drive E by subst command. I can cd to E drive and dir
> w/o problme.  Unfortunately, RMAN can not see it while I am testing.
> E:> rman target=sys/xxxxxx

These two messages are the only important ones:

> ORA-27300: OS system dependent operation:open failed failed
> with status: 2
>ORA-27301: OS failure message: The system cannot find the file
> specified.

If you were using an operating system instead of Windows, then you could look up the OS documentation of the return codes. Sometimes, they look like this:

#define EPERM 1 /* Operation not permitted */
#define ENOENT 2 /* No such file or directory */
#define ESRCH 3 /* No such process */
#define EINTR 4 /* Interrupted system call */
#define EIO 5 /* I/O error */
#define ENXIO 6 /* No such device or address */
#define E2BIG 7 /* Arg list too long */
#define ENOEXEC 8 /* Exec format error */
#define EBADF 9 /* Bad file number */
#define ECHILD 10 /* No child processes */
#define EAGAIN 11 /* Try again */
#define ENOMEM 12 /* Out of memory */
#define EACCES 13 /* Permission denied */
#define EFAULT 14 /* Bad address */
#define ENOTBLK 15 /* Block device required */
#define EBUSY 16 /* Device or resource busy */
#define EEXIST 17 /* File exists */
#define EXDEV 18 /* Cross-device link */
#define ENODEV 19 /* No such device */
#define ENOTDIR 20 /* Not a directory */

Find someone who knows how to deal with Windows. Its much harder then finding someone who knows how to fix *n*x operating systems. Good luck. Your syntax is perfectly corect:

RMAN> sql "alter database backup controlfile to trace as ''/tmp/test.sql''";

sql statement: alter database backup controlfile to trace as ''/tmp/test.sql''

RMAN> The file is there and contains the expected create controlfile commands.

--
http://www.mgogala.com