Re: RMAN CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME vs. Obsolete

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 31 Oct 2005 12:13:49 -0800

Michael42 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In an Oracle9i environment on Sun Solaris 8, my RMAN environment is not
> using OMS yet (using the contol file). I am backing up to disk.
>
> Configuration:
> SPFILE: CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME=30
> RMAN: CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 7 DAYS;
>
> If I perform a DELETE OBSOLETE does this delete the physical files
> based on my RETENTION POLICY and remove the entry from the control
> file?
>
> My thought is that if the entry in the control file is also removed
> what is the use of the CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME?
>
> Please help me understand this relationsip (yes I read the docs).

One thing that is not too clear in the docs: The RMAN records get reused after 7 days. If you change the retention policy to match the cfrkt, then try to restore something over 7 days old, RMAN might get confused about the record it has gotten.

The cfrkt controls whether the controlfile will expand in order to accomodate new records when older records aren't old enough to be reused. So you'll see alert file entries like:

kccrsz: expanded controlfile section 13 from 377 to 388 records   requested to grow by 3 record(s); added 1 block(s) of records

until (hopefully, if maxloghistory isn't too small) you get to a stable size. The records stay there in the controlfile until they are reused.  Metalink Note: 112829.1 makes what happens in the controlfile a bit clearer, as might select min(completion_time) from v$archived_log;

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Bork! Bork! Bork!