Re: Debugging an Oracle connection

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:07:47 +0100

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 11:55:18 +0100, Marian Aldenhövel <marian_at_mba-software.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Is there a way to log what information Oracle client components are passed
>when a connection-attempt is made?
>
>The background to this question is that I am building an application in
>Borland Delphi 5 using ODAC as access components. I can connect at designtime
>but at runtime the program gives me an ORA-12154 error. "TNS: could not
>resolve service name". But the information used _should_ be the same as when
>I connect at designtime and it is accepted then.
>
>So I would like to check from the other end to verify what my application
>is trying to do.
>
>Oracle is 9.2 on Windows.
>
>Ciao, MM

ORA-12514 is a common error. When you search the archives of this group you will see numerous people posting the same question, and always been pointed to the same cause (which you can also look up in the Oracle Error Messages manual) 'You are using a service name that doesn't occur in your tnsnames.ora. The cause *might* be that you have multiple tnsnames.ora floating around, and you didn't set TNS_ADMIN to point to one of them'
Check from the other end in your case also wouldn't help as the client connection doesn't even get to the server. If you verify your tnsnames.ora and that doesn't resolve it, you can enable sqlnet tracing on the client side. How to do that is explained in the documentation, and has also been posted in this forum *numerous* times.
Could you *please* try do some more research of your own, instead of posting this FAQ *yet again* *rightaway*???

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA