Re: Best way to replicate schema data to another database?

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 03:47:12 GMT

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 15:59:15 -0700, zenshade amused us by writing:

> Right now, we're looking at trying to use Log Miner to do this, but
> please bonk me over the head if this is horribly naive.

Bonk!

> Is there a better, more efficient way?

Use Oracle Replication - available in both Standard and Enteprise Editions and around since Oracle Server 7, so it's mature.

Starting Oracle9i Oracle Streams is the underlying mechanism to do the extract and transport as it uses the Log files rather than plain SQL as is done in 8i. Replication using Streams is the preferred method starting 10g although 'traditional' Replication is still around for a while. But it's somewhat 'cumbersome' in 9i so I'd avoid it at that release. Great stuff in 10g, though.

Depending on what and *why* you are replicating, you might also look at Data Guard, which is available with 8i Enterprise Edition and higher. However, I think this would fit under 'logical standby', and IIRC that Data Guard standby variant is not available until 9i.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com