Re: dbms_system and string parameters

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 08:25:03 -0700

Oxnard wrote:

> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message
>

>>Oxnard wrote:
>>
>>>ver 9.2.0.5 and AIX
>>>
>>>using dbms_system it is clear how to set a boolean and an integer
>>>parameter in someone else's sessions. What about strings? For example I
>>>would like to set statistics_level. It has 3 options all strings. I guess
>>>maybe the string is changed to an int at some point. Other than setting
>>>it for the db in the init.ora or a logon trigger is there a way to alter
>>>someone else's session to set strings?
>>
>>logon trigger.
>>
>>www.psoug.org / click on Morgan's Library / click on System triggers
>>--
>>Daniel A. Morgan
>>http://www.psoug.org
>>damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>>(replace x with u to respond)
>

> I do use logon triggers, however what if the session is already on?
> Unfortunately, what often happens to me is I get the call. "My job is
> running slow. Why is it so long? We donot want to stop it as it has been
> running for X^Y hours".

If you are responding to a phone call about something being slow the last thing you should do is start mucking about with session parameters on-the-fly.

Go to Morgan's Library at www.psoug.org. Depending on your version take a look at DBMS_SUPPORT (you need to install it using $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/ admin/dbmssupp.sql) and DBMS_MONITOR.

Find out what is broken ... before replacing parts.