Can't find file with a *.ora extension

From: Ramon F Herrera <ramon_at_conexus.net>
Date: 23 Oct 2005 05:57:21 -0700

After getting some error message I googled and found the solution:

alter tablespace system add datafile 'datafile1.ora'

     size 10m autoextend on next 1m maxsize 250m;

The above command fixed my problem, but now I am curious about that 'datafile1.ora' file. As typed above, the file ended up in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/. Isn't that an odd place for a data file? Should I place it next time in a directory such as '/u01/oracle/oradata/...'? Is the *.ora extension appropriate? Should I use the *.dbf extension instead?

Thanks for sharing your insight in this matter.

-Ramon F Herrera Received on Sun Oct 23 2005 - 07:57:21 CDT