Re: how-to install Oracle 10g on RHES3 with no X-windows

From: googleboy <mynews44_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Oct 2005 08:34:18 -0700

Billy wrote:
> googleboy wrote:
>

> > I would appreciate pointers to documentation on installing and using
> > oracle sans gui, and also any war stories that you may feel would help
> > me in my venture.
>
> Why not use VNC Server? X is by default (should be) installed on RHES.
> So all you do is the following in the oracle Unix account:

Thanks for the advice. I might have to look into that if there is no other way.

This system doesn't have X installed, it wasn't a default install. I strongly prefer not to have to install X, too. This was why I was hoping to get more info on doing it without X.

This box is behind a very slow link, remote administration using a gui will be quite laggy. Has oracle really moved so far away from cli that you can't do things without X?

> And in The Next Issue: running VNC with VMware and turning virtual
> computing into reality computing! ;-)

Sadly, I don't think I will be able to afford VMware anytime soon.

*sigh*

Anybody else out there with more advice?

thanks again,

googleboy Received on Tue Oct 18 2005 - 10:34:18 CDT