Re: Tale of woe - failed patch install and attempted recovery

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 17 Oct 2005 14:15:24 -0700

#Joel Garry wrote:
#> hpuxrac wrote:
#> >
#> > Joel seemed to be hinting that one needed to backup stuff in /tmp.
#> > don't agree with that idea or if Joel wasn't talking about that I
don't
#> > understand what he was trying to convey.
#>
#> Sorry, I was referring to what one needed to delete to convince the
#> installer that it hasn't been around fiddling with stuff already.
The
#> thread seemed to have starting over from scratch as one point, with
#> listing of what one needs to remove, and that was what I was
#> addressing.

Ok then I understand the area you are driving at now, but I still don't agree.

You need space in /tmp for the oracle installer to operate, that's it, period.

Well ok ( unless you set your ORACLE_BASE to /tmp or you point your oracle inventory location over to /tmp or you install your oracle software into /tmp ) ... yes those would be exceptions.

#>
#> Different unix and different SA's have different ways of cleaning up
#> /tmp. I hope nobody does anything that would require backing it up.
#> (OT /tmp history:
#>

http://groups.google.com/group/net.unix/browse_thread/thread/8cd047c6c61923c1/a381ad4c0fffc8ef?#lnk=st&q=group:net.unix&rnum=9&hl=en#a381ad4c0fffc8ef
#> )

Solaris is probably better here than hpux. Although there may be different ways of proceeding, generally in solaris /tmp is usually mounted on top of swap and is therefore really temporary and doesn't survive a reboot.

#> I can't try it just now because all my hp-ux machines are in
production
#> use. It's really the sort of thing you go through with a new
machine
#> as you discover the docs are misleading about OS patches (such as
#> supercedes), or the SA misunderstood something, or you have hardware
#> issues, or... whatever, and you need to start over from scratch.

Still not quite understanding what it is that you are wanting to try.

Certainly you could do a ( rm -rf /tmp/* ) and the oracle installer would be quite happy, whether you were starting from scratch or not. Received on Mon Oct 17 2005 - 16:15:24 CDT