Re: Tale of woe - failed patch install and attempted recovery

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 17 Oct 2005 10:59:10 -0700

hpuxrac wrote:

> Joel seemed to be hinting that one needed to backup stuff in /tmp. I
> don't agree with that idea or if Joel wasn't talking about that I don't
> understand what he was trying to convey.

Sorry, I was referring to what one needed to delete to convince the installer that it hasn't been around fiddling with stuff already. The thread seemed to have starting over from scratch as one point, with a listing of what one needs to remove, and that was what I was addressing.

Different unix and different SA's have different ways of cleaning up /tmp. I hope nobody does anything that would require backing it up. (OT /tmp history:
http://groups.google.com/group/net.unix/browse_thread/thread/8cd047c6c61923c1/a381ad4c0fffc8ef?lnk=st&q=group:net.unix&rnum=9&hl=en#a381ad4c0fffc8ef )

I can't try it just now because all my hp-ux machines are in production use. It's really the sort of thing you go through with a new machine as you discover the docs are misleading about OS patches (such as supercedes), or the SA misunderstood something, or you have hardware issues, or... whatever, and you need to start over from scratch.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20051017/news_1n17sexmall.html