Re: to sqlplus expert. - is this sqlplus version problem?

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 14 Oct 2005 10:24:11 -0700

jdyang wrote:
> Hello. I'm newbie of sqlplus.
>
> I use sql plus 8.1.5.0.0.
>
> I want to get row between 3 to 5. like,
>
> select * from table where rownum >= 3 and rownum =< 5;
>
> and when I use above query, there is no record.
>
> I found reason from google that rownum is attached to row when that row
> pass the where condition.
> And from another webpage, I found the message that those query are
> working well.
>
> how I can get row between 3 to 5. Above query is just version problem?
>
> Infact, I'm using temporary query:
> select * from
> ( select <column names>, rownum as temp_rownum where <table> )
> where temp_rownum >= 3 and temp_rownum <=5;
>

> and surely, I'm not satisfied.
>
> Can you help me please? - to sql experts.

What are you thinking defines 'row 1' or 'row n'? You realize, I hope, that there is no natural or implied or assumed sequencing of rows in a table. And and what the web page said about "rownum is attached to row when that row
pass the where condition" means that rownum refers to the sequence of the row in the returned result set. It has no meaning whatsoever in relation to how or where the rows are in the table. Received on Fri Oct 14 2005 - 12:24:11 CDT