Re: Oracle RAC without clustering

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 9 Oct 2005 16:06:33 -0700

stilllearning wrote:
> We have two independent Sparc/Solaris systems sharing Sun's disk
> arrays. Both systems are on the same sub-net and have a separate high
> speed Ethernet connection between them. Is it possible to configure an
> active-active, HA, redundant, Oracle RAC on these systems without using
> Suncluster or other non-builtin clustering software? If no, what would
> be the minimum additional software/configuration required? If Oracle
> built-in software can be used, what component will be required at the
> very least?

Oracle CRS ( cluster ready services ) software with 10g can provide the node with clustering services to run ran. Indeed with 10g you cannot avoid CRS if you want to run RAC.

With 9i you would need sun clusterware.

> I am trying to keep the number of components minimal, yet build a
> highly available, possibly fault tolerant, configuration. Would prefer
> to use raw partitions rather than LVM and such which increase
> complexity.

Sure you can run raw with 10g or with 9i RAC if you wish to.

If you have 2 sun sparc systems with shared disk, you are all set to start learning. It is best of course if you have systems that are dedicated and yours to operate as a development and research environment with impacting applications and business systems.

If these systems have other responsibilities well then you need to proceed much more carefully. Received on Sun Oct 09 2005 - 18:06:33 CDT