Re: drop user xyz cascade sooo sloww...

From: Andy Hardy <junkmail_at_[127.0.0.1>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 02:11:31 +0100

In message <1128377007.711084.263390_at_z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> , Bob T <bob.mailist_at_gmail.com> writes
>I drop and rebuild users regularly in my development environment.
>In earlier versions of Oracle, dropping a user was really quick,
>but now it takes more than half an hour to drop a user with 100 tables;
>
>Is there any way to speed this up?

Yes.

>Would it go faster if I disabled all constraints first?

Yes... because it would allow you to:

>How about if I truncated tables directly, or dropped them individually?

Yes.

>I could write a script to do any of those things, but it seems to me
>that drop user xxxx cascade should be smart enough to optimize the
>process.

Perhaps... then again, maybe it needs to go for a long-winded approach in order to ensure that there are no cross-schema references, etc. to be considered?

--
Andy Hardy. PGP ID: 0xA62A4849