drop user xyz cascade sooo sloww...

From: Bob T <bob.mailist_at_gmail.com>
Date: 3 Oct 2005 15:03:27 -0700

I drop and rebuild users regularly in my development environment. In earlier versions of Oracle, dropping a user was really quick, but now it takes more than half an hour to drop a user with 100 tables;

Is there any way to speed this up?

Would it go faster if I disabled all constraints first?

How about if I truncated tables directly, or dropped them individually?

I could write a script to do any of those things, but it seems to me that drop user xxxx cascade should be smart enough to optimize the process.

It occurs to me that the reason for the delay might be that Oracle is creating all those "undo" tables. I don't need or want them, but I don't know how to
turn that off, if it is possible.

Thanx for any help!
  Bob Received on Mon Oct 03 2005 - 17:03:27 CDT