Re: Error trying to connect a 8i client to 9i server

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 21:29:03 GMT

Frank van Bortel wrote:

> Mark Bole wrote:
>

>>Draniom wrote:
>>

>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>With a 8.0.5 client, i'm unable to connect to an Oracle9 server.
>>>
>>>The tnsname.ora on the client computer seems to be ok. When i make a
>>>test with the Net8 Assistant, the test succeeds.
>>>
>>>But when i try to connect with SQL+ 8 , an error is returned :
>>>error : 0RA-12154: TNS: could not resolve service name...
>>>
>>>Any idea ?
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>

>>Client 8.0.5 has never been supported for connecting to 9.0 or 9.2 server.
>>
>>See Metalink Note:207303.1 for more information on client / server
>>version interoperabitlity.
>>
>>-Mark Bole
>>

> Which has nothing to do with the problem at hand. Better yet: the
> combination was supported (but as 8.0 isn't, not anymore)
> Check whether you have 2 oracle_homes - I bet you have: one (with
> the net assistant) has a correct tnsnames.ora - the other has not.
>
> Copy the correct one over to the other home (the one with sqlplus
> in it)

Your suggestion may well help the original poster -- especially if he happens to be trying to run the client on the same machine as the database instance. More detailed information on his exact configuration   will be needed to be any more helpful.

However, if you will take the time to read the Metalink note I referenced, you will see that you are incorrect about support: this combination was NEVER supported. Combinations that were once supported, but are no longer, are clearly labeled as such. This is not one of them. Perhaps you were thinking of 8.0.6, the terminal release of Oracle 8, which was supported for connection to 9.0 and 9.2.

Furthermore, according to the note, "Unsupported combinations may appear to work but can encounter errors for particular operations. The fact that they appear to work should not be relied upon - issues on unsupported combinations will not be investigated.".

So, it's probably not a good idea in any case.

-Mark Bole Received on Wed Sep 28 2005 - 16:29:03 CDT