Re: 8i SQL Plus Edit Question

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 21:48:46 +0200

Tim Marshall wrote:
> fitzjarrell_at_cox.net wrote:
>

>> Tim Marshall wrote:
>>
>>> Server 8.1.7.4.0, SQL Plus 8.1.7.0.0  I'm trying to see if SQL PLus can

>> All of these run in SQL*Plus; your file, per se, wasn't truncted, just
>> the lines exeeding 255 characters (I believe that is the line length
>> limit).

> Perhaps that was the cause. What appeared to be happening, though, was
> as soon as a line was truncated, none of the following lines were
> allowed. Does that sound right?
>
> In my apps, I construct SQL strings from VBA. I will pay attention to
> the character length of lines the next time - it sounds like that will
> probably take care of things.
>
> Thanks David, I appreciate the response.

One (or two) additional comments:
- it is not clear whether you use the GUI or the command line version of SQL*Plus (that would be sqlplusw.exe versus sqlplus.exe) The command line version allows for more size than the GUI. - svrmgrl allows for even larger commands than sqlplus; David may have mixed commands with file sizes - a single command is executed with '/', or finishes with ';'.

There is a 32kB barrier in your version of plus; 64 for the commandline if I remember correctly (and failing to retrieve the size for svrmgrl)

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...