Re: MYDUL avaialbe for recovery, another choise of DUL.

From: <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Sep 2005 21:38:49 -0700

AnySQL (d.c.b.a) wrote:

> I have sucessfully recover some data for two customers with MYDUL,
> also I don't know whether they have another recover method, it now my
> pleasure to announce that MYDUL is ready for recovery just as DUL,
> except for LOB column and compress table/IOT.

Hi, AnySQL,

I'd like to make some suggestions to you, if I may. As other nice folks point out, there may be a legal issue with MYDUL. I suggest you rename the tool to anything not having the word "DUL". Secondly, clearly state wherever appropriate that the tool is built by studying block dumps and trial-and-error experiments, not by disassembling either Oracle's DUL tool or Oracle server software. Lastly, clearly state that this tool should be used when no documented recovery method is applicable and the cost of using Oracle's DUL is prohibitive for business, and that in order to keep Oracle's support on the recovered database, this database must be exported and imported into another database (remind people of the same trick that a database with a dropped column can be recovered by altering data dictionary, as long as it's subsequently exported and imported; credit to an Oracle expert well known in this newsgroup)

If you email me, I have a few more suggestions. In the meantime, keep up your good work and continue to read messages in this newsgroup with an open mind, giving more weight to the authors with better reputation.

Yong Huang
yong321ATyahoo.com Received on Tue Sep 27 2005 - 23:38:49 CDT