Re: double line spacing in smtp

From: Chuck <skilover_nospam_at_softhome.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:54:10 -0400

HansF wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:01:13 -0400, Chuck interested us by writing:
>

>>I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but this could be done in about 4
>>lines with mail/mailx in the o/s. Code below is for korn shell but could
>>easily be modified for any other shell.
>>
>>mailx -s 'Attachment Test' mike_at_home.co.uk <<!
>>Hi! This is a test.
>>$(uuencode wor020_665126.lis wor020_665126.lis)
>>!
>>
>>Of course this does assume you are using unix. If windows, you could
>>download blat. It's not much harder to use than mailx.
>>

> Your point being?

My point?

Would you swat flies with a 20 pound sledge hammer? Then why use a 2-3 gig RDBMS package to do a 100k email client's job.

> If it's to show the shorted variant, in PL/SQL you could, of course, store
> MikeS' code as a stored procedure and simply run it using something like

And by that logic I can save my code in a file and execute in one word. So what?

I offered a viable alternative that's simpler to understand, easier to implement, faster to deploy, and used at least 10,000x more often to send email than Oracle's SMTP package. If he still wants to use Oracle's package that's fine. If not that's fine too. I'm just offering an alternative that'll be up and running and 15 seconds instead of chasing a solution that's still not working after days.

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"