Re: oracle 10g on Windows XP nightmare...

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 13:15:28 -0700

Volker Hetzer wrote:
> Hi1
> For testing purposes I tried to install oracle 10g (R2) on my XP notebook.
> Apart from having to upgrade to 1G and installing that loopback thingie
> there are a whole lot of processes running, perl, four javas and lots more
> Is there a list of which processes are supposed to run and which are caused
> by me experimenting around with different ways to install?
> Or, the other way round, what do I have to stop in order to truly kill
> the database?
> Also, the listener shows a lot more services than it ought to. Looks like
> every database I tried to create is listed there, even if it isn't in
> the listener.ora. Deleting the databases with dbca doesn't change that.
> Where do databases get registered on Windows XP?
>
> Lots of Greetings!
> Volker

  1. Use oradim to remove the Oracle service.
  2. Uninstall everything Oracle.
  3. Clean the services from the registry (with great care)
  4. Remove the Oracle directory
  5. Remove the Oracle directory under Program Files
  6. Perform a clean installation following the written docs (again with care).

Use the Oracle installer ONLY to install the binaries Use dbca to create the database
Use netca to create the listener

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org