Re: newbie queston: why would anyone use Oracle?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 13:09:00 -0700

PJ6 wrote:
> I spent years developing with SQL Server, now I'm learning Oracle. It's like
> twice as expensive, seems to me a lot harder to maintain. I never ran into
> something I couldn't do in MS SQL - why exactly would anyone go through the
> extra expense and hassle of using Oracle instead? I'm not asking to get
> anyone mad - I'd just like to know a bit more about how Oracle is different
> (and supposedly better) to make my transition make a little more sense.
>
> TIA,
> Paul

Joining this a bit late but Oracle is NOT twice as expensive as SQL Server. Pricing is almost identical. What you are doing is making the false assumption that SQL Server Enterprise = Oracle Enterprise. A more correct correlation of capabilities would be SQL Server Enterprise to Oracle SE1. And there are capabilities built into Oracle SE1 that SQL Server users can only dream of and are beginning to see in SQL Server 2005 such as mutli-version read consistency.

And I am being serious here ... not engaging in an act of violence. SQL Server, at any price, has no equivalent to Oracle sequences. No equivalent to many Oracle trigger types. No equivalent to Oracle packages. No equivalent to Oracle RAC, DataGuard, ASM, Spatial, Advanced Queuing, Streams, and at least a thousand other valuable capabilities. Even something as elementary as reads not blocking writes and writes not blocking reads is impossible in SQL Server. Not to mention of huge value of not being forced to use the Windows operating system: That alone is worth a lot.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org