Re: Oracle 9i on Fedora 4

From: nirav <shivam71_at_gmail.com>
Date: 21 Sep 2005 23:14:41 -0700

Paul,

To share my views:

  1. Is it POSSIBLE to have oracle 9i R2 on FC4? -Yes 99.99% it will work...only few weeks ago I got oracle 10g on hp machine . It gave many errors to begin with...but finally I could manage to get it through. So I think you should be able to have it done.
  2. The other question would be SHOULD YOU DO IT? -If you see oracle certification matrix on metalink , it is noted there that only redhat linux is supported for oracle and so installing oracle fedora core 4 is NOT SUPPORTED. So we should NOT DO THIS for any serious work -any industry project- basically because oracle does not support it.
  3. Regading practical issues in installation, i found that registering at www.fedoraforum.org & posting in their forums was very useful. it has a complete installation guide for installing fedora 4. and any OS related issues of rpm etc should get resolved there.
  4. Now for installing oracle on fedora linux (if it is decided that it IS TO BE DONE .) then I found this link very useful: http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/smiley_10gdb_install.html (i wanted it on my home pc on work we have oracle on solaris) There were a few other links too, but it 3 weeks now and I forgot..just search net and you will see them. hth N.