Re: Consistent Whole Database Restore

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 21 Sep 2005 19:30:41 -0700

Comments embedded.
Gump wrote:
> Can someone confirm my assumption is correct?
>
> If I restore a whole database from a "Consistent Whole Database Backup"
> I don't need to perform a recovery to open the database.
>
> Note a "Consistent Whole Database Backup" is as follows (from the
> Oracle 9i User-Managed Backup and Recovery Guide Release 2 (9.2)):
>
> Shut the database down cleanly, i.e.
> SQL> SHUTDOWN NORMAL
> SQL> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE
> SQL> SHUTDOWN TRANSACTIONAL
>
> Use an operating system utility to make backups of all datafiles as
> well as all control files specified by the CONTROL_FILES parameter of
> the initialization parameter file. Also, back up the initialization
> parameter file and other Oracle product initialization files.
>
> To do the consistent whole database restore I would shutdown the
> database. Restore all datafiles and control files to their correct
> locations. Then startup the database.
>
> I don't need to mount the database, do a recover database, then alter
> database open.

That depends entirely upon whether you have your old redo logs or not. Should they be missing you would need to:

startup mount;
alter database open resetlogs;

to recreate the missing redo log files.

> Is that correct? Do I need to do a RECOVER DATABASE? What benefit
> would this give me?

Recover database in this situation is unnecessary as the datafiles are consistent and up-to-date with respect to the date of the backup.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Wed Sep 21 2005 - 21:30:41 CDT