Consistent Whole Database Restore

From: Gump <phefford_at_gmail.com>
Date: 21 Sep 2005 19:22:31 -0700

Can someone confirm my assumption is correct?

If I restore a whole database from a "Consistent Whole Database Backup" I don't need to perform a recovery to open the database.

Note a "Consistent Whole Database Backup" is as follows (from the Oracle 9i User-Managed Backup and Recovery Guide Release 2 (9.2)):

Shut the database down cleanly, i.e.

SQL> SHUTDOWN NORMAL
SQL> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE
SQL> SHUTDOWN TRANSACTIONAL

Use an operating system utility to make backups of all datafiles as well as all control files specified by the CONTROL_FILES parameter of the initialization parameter file. Also, back up the initialization parameter file and other Oracle product initialization files.

To do the consistent whole database restore I would shutdown the database. Restore all datafiles and control files to their correct locations. Then startup the database.

I don't need to mount the database, do a recover database, then alter database open.

Is that correct? Do I need to do a RECOVER DATABASE? What benefit would this give me? Received on Wed Sep 21 2005 - 21:22:31 CDT