Re: newbie queston: why would anyone use Oracle?

From: David Portas <REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dportas_at_acm.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 00:13:49 +0100

Page size is 8K, which is also the maximum row size (excluding LOB data). Data rows don't span pages (LOBs do). The table I recall was around 300 million rows of EDI transaction data for a retail sector client. It was partitioned across multiple files in a filegroup.

Logical partitioning has historically been weak in SQL Server. The options in SQL2000 are basically partitioned views, materialized views or filegroups. Now in SQL2005 we can create logical partitions across multiple filegroups, which is a big win for high availability and scalability.

While we're on scalability, some much larger databases both Oracle and MSSQL are cited here: http://wintercorp.com/

David Portas Received on Wed Sep 21 2005 - 18:13:49 CDT