Re: newbie queston: why would anyone use Oracle?

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 13:35:21 -0400

David Portas wrote:
> PJ6 wrote:
>

>>>Also SQL Server (as shipped today) cannot scale either up or out.
>>>I don't mean CPU, I mean big tables (storing LOBs is not what constitutes
>>>a big table).
>>
>>Hmmm. Big as in tens or hundreds of gigabytes, right?

> No. Bigger. SQL Server can and does run databases larger than 10s of
> terabytes. I've personally worked with tables in SQL Server that
> approach terabyte size but most people probably wouldn't cosider that
> exceptional today.
>
> David Portas

Does SQL Server support rows crossing page boundaries? AFAIK the pagesize of SQL Server is small (2 or 4k IIRC). A terabyte table with <4k rowsize must ahve a lot of rows. Hard to manage without any form of partitioning.... Care to give more detail?

PJ6: If your experience is on 4GB/150 users databases then that explains well why you don't see the value. As so often it's about the right tool for the right job.

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau