Re: newbie queston: why would anyone use Oracle?

From: PJ6 <nobody_at_nowhere.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:12:09 GMT

"David Portas" <REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dportas_at_acm.org> wrote in message news:1127318669.841563.74140_at_f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> No. Bigger. SQL Server can and does run databases larger than 10s of
> terabytes. I've personally worked with tables in SQL Server that
> approach terabyte size but most people probably wouldn't cosider that
> exceptional today.

*whistle*

Hmmm. I wonder if anyone's considered adapting the rather impressive modern graphics card technology to speeding up operations on databases of that size. I read something interesting about them retooling an NVIDIA card to do computational fluid dynamics. I also read something about a new way of indexing using bitmaps which is close to a theoretically optimum efficiency...

Paul Received on Wed Sep 21 2005 - 14:12:09 CDT