Re: newbie queston: why would anyone use Oracle?

From: PJ6 <nobody_at_nowhere.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:04:35 GMT

"Paul" <paul_at_see.my.sig.com> wrote in message news:ph73j1564ce8f8ncteovbihggrlivtf3n5_at_4ax.com...
> For that amount of data and users, you should look at some of the open
> source offerings, which are well able to cope with this type of data.
> What is your development environment?

Windows XP.

> An extremely powerful procedural language - PL/SQL, runs on *nix,
> partitioning (for large amounts of data), + lots more.

I was taught that the procedural paradigm does not belong in a relational system. I'm all for integrating something OO into the DB engine directly to allow stuff like custom aggregate functions and automatic materialized path generation from a parent/child table (SQL 2005's .NET integration looks promising), but I'm a little leary of introducing loops and other procedural badness directly into my queries.

Paul Received on Wed Sep 21 2005 - 14:04:35 CDT