Re: MOD_PLSQL and XHTML

From: Jeremy <jeremy0505_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:38:49 +0100

In article <1127236025.802821.117080_at_f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, Billy says...
> Jeremy wrote:
>
> > According to the specs, XHTML tag names must be in lowercase.
> >
> > Oracle's mod_plsql generates upper case tags in our app - is there a
> > setting to get it to generate lower case tags instead?
>
> Jeremy, MOD_PLSQL does not generate HTML.

Yep you're quite right - I know what I mean I just didn't say it. Sure it's HTP and HTF etc.

> The actual question is whether or not the PL/SQL Web Cartridge
> (consisting of a suite of PL/SQL packages) generate HTML in upper or
> lower case. Would not seem to be the case.. (and yes, it generates HTML
> and not XHTML - it has been around since the mid 90's with Oracle 7
> long before XHTML standards).
>
> Why should case be an issue? No browser on the market today gives a TCP
> packet's trailer about the case of HTML. Or am I mistaken?

Validators care. If the DOCTYPE specifies that the docuemnt is XHTML then all html tags are expected to be lower case.

> HTML case? A non-issue issue IMO. There's a lot better things to
> standardise on when dealing with PL/SQL (which is what MOD_PLSQL runs
> for you) than dealing with something as trivial as HTML case -
> something which only a bean counter/manager is likely concerned about,
> instead of real Oracle development issues. Unless of course he thinks
> the code that the developers write are perfect?
>
> Sorry if I sound a bit sarcastic on this Jeremy, but on my list of real
> world issues and standards dealing with PL/SQL and HTML, this does not
> even feature as the last item.

I'd be with you on this but it'd be nice to be able to use the toolkit AND get standard-compliant xhtml generated from the app.

--
jeremy

We use Oracle 9iR2 on Solaris 8 with the Oracle HTTP Server and
mod_plsql