Re: Oracle's 10gR2 Automated Storage Management implementation on CentOS 4.1 (RHEL AS 4 U1)

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 20 Sep 2005 00:50:39 -0700

derzhavets_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> Actually there are several nice articles on Oracle Technical Network
> devoted to the same topic. What's new may be said ?
<snipped>

Just that ASMLib 2.x does not work with EMC PowerPath as indicated by Metalink Note:309815.1 on Linux 2.4 (64bit) kernels.

When used together, expect intermittant I/O failures and block corruption being reported. The solution is not to use ASMLib devices in the ASM Instance, but loading the ASM devices (raw devices with ASM volume labels) as native raw devices.

Cheeses me slightly off that the Metalink note has not been corrected. I got egg in my face as I hold it to be true and gave EMC Support uphill when running into I/O problems (they insisted from the start it was ASMlib). Eventually after I isolated the problem I -proved- (without any shadow of doubt) that it was indeed ASMLib and Powerpath that refused to work together - despite the statements of that Metalink note.

Oracle Support said that they forwarded the TAR details to the author of that Metalink note so that the exceptions to that can be documented for others. This does not seem to be the case...

--
Billy