Re: db_block_size

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 20 Sep 2005 00:47:58 -0700

epipko_at_gmail.com wrote:

> I have a question about db_block_size.
> OS - Win 2003
> D/b - Oracle 9.2
> We have a reporting d/base with block size of 8192K.
> I wonder if we'll have better performance by increasing the block size
> to 16 or more, for instanse, since all we do is run "selects.." from
> there. I also wonder if pctused/pctfree needs to be modified as well.

Do you actually suffer from an I/O problem? Have you measured waits and used the performance monitor to ascertain if you have I/O waits?
If so, then yes: you may have better performance by going to a larger block size. It also matters what the sector size is in the Windows partition(s) where the database data files reside. Probably more than the db block size, in fact. Received on Tue Sep 20 2005 - 02:47:58 CDT