[8i] Compress data before it leaves oracle server?

From: <scholzie_at_gmail.com>
Date: 19 Sep 2005 21:10:33 -0700

I'm running queries on an Oracle server over-seas, and unfortunately the data being returned amount to over a gigabyte's worth. Interestingly enough, though, zipped up the data are only about 100 megs.

I was hoping there was some way to package the files up using pl/sql before sending them back. We ONLY have access to the oracle server, so running a script on the local command line or something like that is out of the question.

I know that Oracle 10g offers a zipping/unzipping utility, but we're using Oracle 8i. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks in advance - you'd be a life saver if you could help. Received on Mon Sep 19 2005 - 23:10:33 CDT