Re: pros/cons of dedicated vs. MTS connections?

From: Joe Weinstein <joeNOSPAM_at_bea.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 17:55:11 -0700

Mark Bole wrote:

> Billy wrote:
>

>> Mark Bole wrote:
>>
>>> That's the whole point of a JDBC connection pool -- you never close the
>>> connection.
>>
>> You're missing the fact that I was talking about JDBC connection pool
>> leaking. I.e. the connection pool continues to grow, with original
>> pooled connections not being used (and the socket handle still open).
>> This means that the number of sessions on the Oracle side keeps on
>> increasing.

> In the Weblogic product, at least, there are settings for limiting the
> max number of connections in the pool. Every time reaching the max
> became a problem, in my experience, it was a bug in the application code
> that needed to be fixed regardless of connection pool issues.

Correct, and further, WebLogic has ways of observing and recovering pooled connections that have been idle for a configurable period, whether or not the user-level connection reference had been lost, so all leaks can be repaired automatically within seconds of the maximum normal time the application would properly hold and use a connection. A full stacktrace of the user code that obtained the connection (and then leaked or ignored it) is also logged for help in code repair.

Joe Weinstein at BEA Systems Received on Thu Sep 15 2005 - 19:55:11 CDT