Re: asynchronous i/o problem Oracle / Solaris (EXPERTS APPLY WITHIN)

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:28:54 GMT

DO you use Veritas?

I had a similar problem with 8 few months back:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/browse_thread/thread/89d15f9f342f3303/3f6850266d2314eb?lnk=st&q=lgwr+author:netcomrade&rnum=1&hl=en#3f6850266d2314eb

On 13 Sep 2005 15:18:01 -0700, "Johne_uk" <edgarj_at_tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've had a problem with a hanging database for some months and it is
>becoming more frequent (dbase hangs, cannot connect other than sys and
>generates no log / trace files etc.).
>
>The database is an 8.1.7.4 instance running on Solaris 9.0.4 (problem
>also occurred on Solaris 7).
>
>A consulant recently took me he thinks the issue may be linked to log
>file sync's and Solaris asynchronous i/o. We turned off Oracle
>asynchronous i/o (in init ora) and the problem still occurred.
>
>When the dbase was in a hung state, I captured the output from the
>Oracle LGWR process with Solaris truss. It seemed to show that the
>process was writing in a continuous loop and thus not to disk resulting
>in the instance totally locking up.
>
>I've been suggested to look at the asynchronous i/o setup on the
>Solaris sparc box.
>
>Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to how I should
>approach this.
>
>regards
>John

We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 and 9.2.0.6/7 on Solaris 2.7 and RH4 remove NSPAM to email Received on Wed Sep 14 2005 - 13:28:54 CDT