asynchronous i/o problem Oracle / Solaris (EXPERTS APPLY WITHIN)

From: Johne_uk <edgarj_at_tiscali.co.uk>
Date: 13 Sep 2005 15:18:01 -0700

Hi,

I've had a problem with a hanging database for some months and it is becoming more frequent (dbase hangs, cannot connect other than sys and generates no log / trace files etc.).

The database is an 8.1.7.4 instance running on Solaris 9.0.4 (problem also occurred on Solaris 7).

A consulant recently took me he thinks the issue may be linked to log file sync's and Solaris asynchronous i/o. We turned off Oracle asynchronous i/o (in init ora) and the problem still occurred.

When the dbase was in a hung state, I captured the output from the Oracle LGWR process with Solaris truss. It seemed to show that the process was writing in a continuous loop and thus not to disk resulting in the instance totally locking up.

I've been suggested to look at the asynchronous i/o setup on the Solaris sparc box.

Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to how I should approach this.

regards
John Received on Tue Sep 13 2005 - 17:18:01 CDT