Re: pros/cons of dedicated vs. MTS connections?

From: ORA600 <panandrao_at_gmail.com>
Date: 13 Sep 2005 17:45:43 -0700

Hi Joe,

Oracle will never recommend a particular connection method unless the case you present is very very clear and specific. I haven't come across any Oracle doc that specifically recommends one method over the other in generic terms. Both MTS and Dedicated connection mechanism are designed for specific uses. As many have mentioned here before, MTS has specific uses. It also has more bugs and shared pool issues :-)

MTS in 9.2 and 10g is better. I know of sites who use MTS because with Decidated connections, their application just hangs or machine just crawls. These guys have 7000+ connections and they cannot scale. In such cases, MTS helps. But, the application is also very crappy which needs MTS to mask its shortcomings.

In simple terms, you will sleep peacefully if you use dedicated connections. For 100 connections, just use dedicated. Make sure you don't connect/disconnect frequently. Stay connected as long as you can and execute your transactions.

cheers
ora600 Received on Tue Sep 13 2005 - 19:45:43 CDT