Re: Oracle 10g and JVM

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:25:23 GMT

Frank van Bortel wrote:

> Mark Bole wrote:
>

>>OK, I'll bite -- why would you _not_ want to install by default the JVM
>>in Oracle 10g (assuming it is already not present on your machine in one
>>form or another)?

[...]
> Because I'm a dinosaur, and believe a database should be a database, and
> not some &^%!$. We can now browse the internet, watch video's and listen
> to music in Oracle. Nice, but not (always) a database in my book.
>
> So, I do not install the JVM when I don't need it - and save 50%
> on install time :)
> And I do not use db control, I am in control (mostly ;) )

I have no doubts about an experienced DBA making decisions of this nature because he or she will accept responsiblity for making sure that nothing important is broken as a consequence.

Although it wasn't clear from my reply, I was actually directing my question to the OP, in the usual vein of, "before you decide the solution is ["fill_in_the_blank", or, in this case, "don't install JVM"], what is the problem you are trying to solve?" Or in other words, why do you ask?

-Mark Bole Received on Tue Sep 13 2005 - 18:25:23 CDT