Re: pros/cons of dedicated vs. MTS connections?

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:10:06 GMT

Joe Weinstein wrote:

> Hi. I have an application which makes several (10-50)
> separate JDBC connections to an Oracle DBMS, and uses
> these connections indefinitely. Can you tell me any
> reason I would prefer or care about whether the DBMS
> is configured sa MTS or not?
> thanks
> Joe

Is this the same Joe Weinstein from BEA who has posted numerous times over the years on various Usenet groups on the topics of JDBC, Weblogic, and so on?

I'm only asking because this seems an odd "newbie" question for the real Joe Weinstein to be asking... Sorry if I am making a false assumption, but this group has been subject to forged posts before, so I though it better to ask and be sure. After all, I would expect someone from BEA to already be a source of authoritative information on this subject.

The answer, as others have posted, is to use only dedicated server for almost any kind of JDBC connection pool.

Quoting Joe Weinstein:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/browse_thread/thread/99a78dd81d90b122/c188520f63183a6c?lnk=st&q=joe+weinstein+bea&rnum=10&hl=en#c188520f63183a6c

"The point is that I'm not *only* a DBMS guy. My specialty (since '96) is Java-database connectivity (JDBC). BEA (weblogic) developed the first JDBC drivers for Oracle, Sybase, Informix, and MS SQLServer. Before that, for 8 years I was j..._at_sybase.com, joining the startup as it's 100th-or-so employee. I work with most DBMSes all the time, and if people stopped using DBMSes, I'd be out of a job. I just now know that their proper purview is not unlimited... ;)"

-Mark Bole Received on Tue Sep 13 2005 - 18:10:06 CDT