Re: Oracle Enterprise Manager Console won't let me login as SYS, Win XP

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 20:43:45 GMT

In a typical Win installation, I find the SYS authentication is controlled by the OS. (Often happens when the installation guru uses point-n-click install techniques instead of taking time to read the installation manual.)

Try

	sqlplus "/ as sysdba"
	shutdown immediate
	exit

or

	sqlplus /nolog
	connect / as sysdba
	shutdown immediate
	exit

Remember the 'as sysdba' stuff. You might need "connect /@mydis as sysdba"

If this works, you are using the OS level authentication as described in the docco at

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96521/dba.htm#1064

Strongly encourage you to read the CONCEPTS manual and become familiar with the ADMINISTRATION guide, both found at http://docs.oracle.com for whatever version of Oracle you are using.

Also strongly encourage you to post the Oracle version with future questions.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com