Re: Stripe Width

From: Umberto <umberto.quaia_at_tin.it>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 17:06:47 +0200

sushil wrote:
> What are the advantages/disadvantages of using a bigger stripe width
> for datafiles at the storage level.

IIRC, striping is used to distribute data across spindles in a RAIDset (sort of 1Mb on spindle 1, then 1 Mb on spindle 2, etc.) to avoid localization of data on a single spindle, which may impact RAID performance. Apart from that, I don't think it makes a lot of difference, as far as Oracle is concerned, whether you choose 1Mb or 4Mb. So, I'd simply choose the value recommended by the RAID manufacturer, it's more storage dependent than database dependent, IMO. Received on Fri Sep 09 2005 - 10:06:47 CDT