TIMEOUT ON CONTROL FILE ENQUEUE

From: Stan Brown <stanb_at_panix.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 14:41:33 +0000 (UTC)

Oracle version 7.3.4.5.0 on HP-UX 10.20 (yes I know it's ancient :-)

Last night (perhaps during a hot backup, I'm not certain yet), our Oracle instance came to a halt. The trace file has this, and:

ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [2103], [0], [0], [1], [900],
[], [], []

ORA-00447: fatal error in background process ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [2103], [0], [0], [1], [900],
[], [], []

In it. I managed to connect with svrmgrl, and do a "shutdown abort" Now, I'm working on getting a complete set of cold backups of the system as is.

I've looked at the hardware, and I cannot find any problems with it. The hot backup, and a subsequent dump are sent to a remote machine which is mounted via NFS.I see errors in dmesg out NFS server timeouts, so I strongly suspect this is the root cause of the disaster.

I've got several questions for the gurus here.

  1. Besides a complete set of backups, is there anything else I should do to prepare for a recovery attempt?
  2. What steps should I plan on taking for the recovery attempt?
  3. Is their any _safe_ way to find out if any tablespaces were left in backup mode, prior to getting the backups? I ask this because it's likely to take 2 to 3 days to get the backups using the methodology I'm familiar with, and I really don't think this is the time to depend on an untested backup technique.

I welcome any suggestions.

Thanks.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin