Re: good way to bootstrap knowledge about oracle server side operation?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 8 Sep 2005 16:23:19 -0700

Hey! Free book! http://www.oraclemagician.com

I think that is the best book for generally learning how-to-dba. While Tom Kyte's books are better for teaching how to program and learning some nuts-n-bolts details. (I'm not familiar with the book Hans mentions, but would trust his judgement). And of course Jonathan Lewis' Practical 8i is a classic, and still very useful.

Some more stuff: http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm

Another good thing to do is have a competent DBA come in and look over your system and give some insights. Of course, different DBA's may have different insights, and some may be myth-mongers.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/24.03.html#subj9