Re: 8.1.7 shutdown

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 14:32:55 GMT

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:10:32 +0000, Alessandro interested us by writing:

> Hi all,
> I'm in trouble with a 8.1.7 rdbms which fails to shutdown cleanly on a
> Win2000 server; in detail, when server is rebooted alert log shows a
> crash recovery, I tried to close db manually and it works well; I found
> this issue also on Metalink, but some unavailable patches are required.
> Is there any workaround and/or fix to this problem (before the db gets
> corrupted)?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Alessandro

What are the exact steps you are using to shut down the database instance on the server before shutting down the operating system?

An 'instance crash recovery' is not necessarily a bad thing and doesn't mean a corrupted database. It mainly means that the shutdown was abnormal and that the transaction cleanup that would happen as a normal shutdown is being performed during startup.

However, I encourage you to look at upgrading to 8i or 10g as soon as feasible since 9i isw no longer supported. (And that implies your access to metalink for 8i is wasted - as you found out looking for patches.)

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com