Re: Table default settings

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 19:22:14 +0200

On 6 Sep 2005 09:36:24 -0700, "FC" <rotaterx8_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>Why do I want to change the default settings? Because my application
>runs on systems that already have Oracle installed. Since they may have
>their own default settings I want to make sure my own defaults are
>satisfied without interfering with the owner's defaults.

Obviously they had a reason for their defaults, and overruling them because your defaults are better (where you are a newbie) is not necessarily the brightest idea. It is definitely one of the methods to get a DBA angry, especially when you start stating 'changing the defaults is not supported'.

>You mentioned the ALTER commands, I am really not very familiar with
>them (yes, I am a newbie), is there a tutorial or a list that is
>available online for me to look at?

Know the SQL reference manual at http://tahiti.oracle.com ? Know how to search for ALTER TABLE?
But I would first read the Oracle Concepts Manual, and the first three chapters of the Expert One on One book by Thomas Kyte. It explains the structural differences between sqlserver and Oracle.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA