Re: Oracle 8.1.7 rollback segment help

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 5 Sep 2005 16:23:55 -0700

We never encountered any such problem when we ran on 8.1.7.0 - .4 though 8.1.7.0 had plenty of bugs. What is your exact release? If it is less than 8.1.7.4 you should upgrade the system to the final release if you cannot upgrade to 9.2.0.6/7 or 10gR2.

What platform are you on? Any bug is likely to be both version and platform dependend. But again not only did we not experience this but I have never heard of anyone else experiencing this and 8.1 is old.

You might want to check the OS level file permissions? Oracle should be the file owner and only Oracle should have Read/Write.

I suspect that the cause of the loss of the datafile has to do with the fact it is being deleted by an external process. Make sure the file permissions are set correctly then look at the users who could still get at the file. File cleanup tasks would be at the top of my investigate list.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Sep 05 2005 - 18:23:55 CDT